Re: Why no wingtips for B777???

Date:         09 Aug 97 02:28:30
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

*NoSpam*elberfeld@sprintmail.com wrote:

> Speaking of B-777 wingtips: To my knowledge, no carrier has ordered
> the folding wingtips option. (Perhaps because they knew it would only
> be a matter of time before somebody would try to take off with the
> wingtips folded..:-) ). Does anyone know if Boeing still offers this
> option?

I believe we made an operational mockup to prove the principal, but as
gate dimensions don't seem to be a problem for the 777's operators, there
has been no requirement for the heavy folding wing option.  Obviously if a
customer wanted it we could supply it because it does work.  But folding
wingtips and their associated structure and activating systems don't pay
for the priviledge of riding on the airplane like passengers and freight
do.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane