Re: O'Hare Accident

Date:         09 Aug 97 02:28:28
From:         lstone@wwa.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1997.1728@ohare.Chicago.COM>, mike@cintos.com wrote:
>It had been suggested that if the crew reacted quickly enough to retract
>the other wing's flaps, the crash could have been avoided. I find that
>suggestion to be a long (cheap) shot by armchair pilots.
>
>[Moderator's Note: Not to mention that simply retracting the other
>flaps would have caused *both* wings to stall.  In any case, lots
>has previously been said in sci.aeronautics.airliners about this
>crash -- see http://www.chicago.com/airliners/archives.html for the
>group's archives.  -- Karl]

Things I've read in the past suggest that had they lowered the nose, the
stall could have been prevented. That would have then given them time to
deal with the asymmetrical flap situation. I believe this scenario had
been sucessfully flown in simulators using that technique.

If I recall correctly, at the time, procedures called for an increase in
pitch, presumably to the two-engine Vy (best rate of climb speed). I
believe today procedures call for a check that it is indeed only an engine
failure and the engine has not departed the airfcraft.

BTW, I think both wings stalling together is much easier to deal with than
one stalled and one not due to the flap mismatch. Recovering from normal
stalls is part of basic flight training and I dare say every airplane
pilot has done plenty of stall recoveries in the simulator. As long as you
keep the wings level, you can "fly" a plane all day in a stall with very
little risk.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@wwa.com
   http://www.wwa.com/~lstone/