Re: DC9-15 (was Re: Northwest A319 will replace what ?)

Date:         09 Aug 97 02:28:27
From:         "Stefano P. Pagiola" <Spagiola@worldbank.org>

Wilken <"wilken@wilken"@atl.mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Among the differences between a -10 and a -15 version of
>> the DC9, is, (from what I recall) the additional of leading
>> edge slats to the wing.
>
> In the dash series the first digit is the manafacture
> series such as DC9-10.  The second digit in the dash is
> the Airline designation.  -15 just happens to be Northwest.
> Same as a -88 is Delta and a -83 is I beleive American.
> (yes the MD88 is really type certified as a DC9-88)
> I've never seen a -15 to have slats though unless some
> airline did some special work.  To the best of my
> knowledge slats on the DC-9 didnt appear until the -30.

Sorry, but you're confusing the Boeing and Douglas
numbering schemes. Of course, Douglas is now part of
Boeing, but still...

For Boeing, the first digit after the dash indicates
the series and the subsequent two digits indicate the
customer.  Thus 757-223 is a model 757, series 200,
built for American (customer number 23).

With Douglas, the first digit after the dash indicates
the series and the second indicates a variant of that
series.  Thus DC-9-11 is a DC-9 series 10, first major
variant of that series.  DC-9-12 would be the second
variant of the series 10, and so on.

DC-9-83 is simply the third variant of the DC-9-80;
in this case a variant with longer range than the
earlier -81 and -82 variants. The -88 should really
have been called -84, since it came after  the -83,
but by the time Douglas produced the -88, it had already
produced an -87 (which was actually different enough
from the other -80s that it really deserved its own
series number; -87 was chosen for marketing reasons
-- it was first delivered in 1987 -- not out of logic).
Anyway, Delta (who was the first to order the -88
didn't want a model number that suggested its airplane
was less advanced than the -87, so -88 was assigned.

And by the way, the MD-88 really is an MD-88.  Look at
the manufacturer's plate someday (on the inside of the
passenger entry door at front left, facing forward,
roughly eye level) and you'll see.  All other -80s are
DC-9-80s, but the MD-88 is an MD-88.  And the MD-90
is an MD-90.

All clear?  Of course, when the MD-90 came out, Douglas
didn't follow their previous scheme.  Now MD-90 is the
model number and variants of it are indicated by dashed
numbers, beginning with -30, for long and convoluted
reasons.  ie there's a MD-90-30, rather than a MD-91,
which is what it should have been under the old scheme.
Similarly with the MD-95.

To quote Shakespeare:
    " as clear as is the summer's sun..."
[Henry V:I.ii.103]

Stefano
--
All opinions are my own.
Check out my web site (under construction) at