Re: De-icing airplane wings

Date:         08 Aug 97 05:41:23
From:         Patt <address@bottom.net>

Steven J. Lorenc wrote:
> Could someone tell me who is responsible for the de-icing of wings?
> Does each individual airline have it's own crew for that?  I'm looking
> for either the names of some of the manufacturers of the trucks or the
> companies which supply the service.

Regarding your first question... the Captain (PIC) makes that
determination.

There are circumstances where the Captain's authority is usurped,
however.

I landed in CLE last winter with a clean airplane... no trace of ice on
the airframe. We were on the ground approximately :45 min.  There was no
precip during that time and just prior to departure time the airplane
was inspected by myself and the F/O .. we jointly determined the
airplane was clean and de-icing was not required.

When we called for clearance to 'push', ground control replied that the
de-ice pad was full, and we were given an estimated taxi time to the
de-ice pad.

I replied we were a 'through' flight, had been on the ground for less
than an hour, there had been no precipitation during that time, the
airplane was clean, we didn't require de-icing, and requested taxi for
take-off.

We were informed by ground control that the CLE Airport operations
manager (not an airline employee, not an FAA employee, but a City of
Cleveland civilian appointed bureaucrat [and probably not a pilot]) had
"declared 'Winter Operations' in effect", and we *must* be de-iced prior
to departure; we would not be given taxi clearance until we were
de-iced.

I left the cockpit, and called ground control on the Jetway phone and
asked if the Airport Operations Manager would also accept responsibility
if I slid off the taxiway and got stuck in the mud.  Nuff said.

So... it might be said that contrary to to the FAR's there are times the
Captain is not the 'final authority' and is responsible for the flight
only when some "expert" decides to pass the buck.

And.. you are familiar with the definition of an 'expert' are you not?

"x" is an unknown quantity.  A "spert" is a drip under pressure.

        Patt

 mailto:pattmcd@swbell.net