Re: DC9-15 (was Re: Northwest A319 will replace what ?)

Date:         08 Aug 97 05:41:23
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.NOSPAM.COM (Karl Swartz)

>> Among the differences between a -10 and a -15 version of the DC9, is, (from
>> what I recall) the additional of leading edge slats to the wing.

>In the dash series the first digit is the manafacture series such as
>DC9-10.  The second digit in the dash is the Airline designation.  -15
>just happens to be Northwest.  Same as a -88 is Delta and a -83 is I
>beleive American.

You appear to be confused with Boeing's designation scheme, which
includes a two-character customer code after the series designator
(as in -2xx, or 747SP-xx).  For details, see
ftp://ftp.chicago.com/chicago/airliners/boeing-code.

Lockheed, at least with the L-1011, encoded the customer in the serial
number.  For example, sn 193A-1002 was the 2nd L-1011 built (002) and
was built for Eastern Airlines (193A).  For a list of customer codes
see http://www.cyserv.com/dyencer/tristar/htmls/fleetlist.html.
There's some logic to the L-1011 series designations, but it gets
pretty convoluted.

Douglas (and McDonnell Douglas) designations do not encode the customer
in either the model or serial number.  An MD-82 is simply an MD-81 with
more powerful engines and higher MGTOW, while an MD-83 is beefier yet.
An MD-88 is an MD-82 with a glass cockpit.  American does have MD-83s,
but so do Continental and TWA and probably many others.  All three
airlines also have MD-82s.

To complete the picture, Airbus does not encode a customer code, but
the model numbers are a bit more descriptive than the DAC models.
After the series digit comes two more digits indicating engine type
and specific model.  United's A320s, for example, are A320-232 models --
200 series, 3 = IAE V2500, 2 = second V2500 version (V2527-A5) used on
the A320-200.  Other carrier(s) fly A320-231 models, with a different,
most likely lower thrust version of the V2500.  Northwest's A320-211s
have the first CFM56 version used on the A320-200.

> (yes the MD88 is really type certified as a DC9-88)

No, quite the contrary, it's the first MD-8x which was *not* certified
as a DC-9-8x.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com