Re: Q: Smoking on flight deck

Date:         08 Aug 97 05:41:17
From:         Patt <address@bottom.net>

Brad Hunnewell wrote:
> Gary Welch wrote:
> > > ... the airlines have their own rules preventing staff members
> > > smoking on  board.
> >
> > I've read that Southwest's chain-smoking CEO, Herb Kellerher, frequently
> > flies in the jump seat so he can smoke.
>
> Sounds like an urban legend. Unless ol' Herb is a 121/135 flightcrew
> member, he shouldn't be able to ride in the jumpseat- even on "his"
> planes, right?? Anyone?

I don't know of any airline that doesn't have a list of corporate officers
(most are not pilots) having access to the cockpit in their respective
Operations Manual, which is approved by the FAA. The corporate officers
are listed along with the 'usual' authorized J/S riders.

        Patt

 mailto:pattmcd@swbell.net