Re: Why no wingtips for B777???

Date:         08 Aug 97 05:41:17
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.1708@ohare.Chicago.COM>, drela@mit.edu (Mark Drela) wrote:

> In article <airliners.1997.1581@ohare.Chicago.COM>, faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) writes:
> > Incidentally, one of the most
> > efficient wings in the sky (according to the airlines who fly it, not me)
> > is the 757 wing.  One of the "problems" 757 pilots have is slowing the
> > plane down, the wing is so efficient.
>
> Hmm. I wonder what they mean by "efficient" here.  Having a high L/D
> at approach speeds with partial flaps?  I'd say cruise Mach is much
> more important.

The pilots I interviewed about the 757 were talking about cruise
performance and cruise fuel burn, not landing criteria.  They were talking
about the initial slow down from cruise speed at altitude.  I'm not saying
the 757 wing is more efficient than the 777 wing, I'm simply quoting these
particular pilots opinions.  I'm not even sure you can make a fair
comparison between the efficiency of the 757 wing vs the 777 wing, as the
airplanes themselves are so different.  The 777 wing is outstanding, no
doubt about it.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane