Re: Why Russians airlines usually make no-ILS approach/landings?

Date:         06 Aug 97 01:49:31
From:         Zachary Canright <zzacman@Alaska.NET>

John Hilt wrote:
> On 01 Aug 97 04:04:20 , "William Caefer" <bcaefer@primenet.com> wrote:
> >Actually, if I lived as close to the only real source of the answer as you
> >do (ie: Russian pilots) I'd try to stroll on over to the airport and ask a
> >couple of them some questions about how they fly and procedures for their
> >airlines.  All pilots like to talk about flying after all.  :)
>
> I've tried talking to them, but they're only interested in what they
> can bring home for free. Like worn-out car tyres, food and live
> chickens. :-)

Because they can't speak or understand a word of English.
I work for airway facilities (FAA) and know a fellow who works at Miami
International. It is standard practice for all ground traffic to leave
all taxiways and runways when Aeroflot is on final. Aeroflot has been
known to land on taxiways, and the wrong parallel runway. If you are a
Russian pilot and can say "roger" and "OK" you are good to go.  There is
actually a localizer antenna at Miami Intl. that has 747 Aeroflot tire
track on it.