Re: Why no wingtips for B777???

Date:         05 Aug 97 17:45:50
From:         Christopher Davis <ckd@loiosh.kei.com>

JFM> == Jean-Francois Mezei <"[non-spam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca>

 JFM> What about the other extreme of the 747-400, the Canadair Regional
 JFM> jet (flying skidoo).  It is designed for short hops, yet has
 JFM> winglets. Is this because Canadair didn't build the wing from
 JFM> scratch, using designs from its Challenger programme ?

The current Challenger wing does have winglets, though the original design
didn't.  Note that the Challenger (especially the current model, the
Challenger 604) has a fairly long range (>4000nm at M0.74), and is
designed for intercontinental or transcontinental use.

I suspect the CRJ wing retains the winglets along with the other design
elements it inherits from the Challenger, and for the same reasons.

--
Christopher Davis <ckd@kei.com>      <URL: http://www.kei.com/homepages/ckd/ >
Geographic locations in DNS! <URL: http://www.kei.com/homepages/ckd/dns-loc/ >