Re: Why no wingtips for B777???

Date:         05 Aug 97 17:45:50
From:         drela@mit.edu (Mark Drela)
Followups:    1 2 3

In article <airliners.1997.1581@ohare.Chicago.COM>, faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) writes:

> Incidentally, one of the most
> efficient wings in the sky (according to the airlines who fly it, not me)
> is the 757 wing.  One of the "problems" 757 pilots have is slowing the
> plane down, the wing is so efficient.

Hmm. I wonder what they mean by "efficient" here.  Having a high L/D
at approach speeds with partial flaps?  I'd say cruise Mach is much
more important.

For cruise performance I would vote for the B777 wing as being the best
of the heap.  I has nearly the speed of a B747 with far less wing sweep.
That's airfoil technology at work.

  Mark Drela                          First Law of Aviation:
  MIT Aero & Astro          "Takeoff is optional, landing is compulsory"