Re: ATR-72's and Airbuses

Date:         01 Jan 97 20:59:23
From:         jfmezei <nospam.jfmezei@videotron.ca>

John Clear wrote:
> I think some small grants/subsidies/etc to promote development
> is very different then huge sums of money to fund entire product
> development, start to finish.

When you look at a specific project, perhaps it looks worse one way or
the other.

But when you look at the industry over a longer preiod of time, you
*may* see many "acceptable" small grants that total up to a huge sum of
money which would have been unacceptable to many had it been handed over
in a single check.

And even if ther were no directs benefits to commercial operation, any
military/space contract will make the company bigger and may offer
economies of scale and better negotiation with dealers. Hard to quantify
such help, of course.