Re: Re[2]: TWA Flight 800 accident

Date:         07 Jan 97 07:20:19
From:         "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera@nortel.ca>

>No, not novel, just an idea whose time has gone.  See and be seen has been
>tried for 93 years now and its major inadequacies are among the best
>documented research in civil aviation.  Only a regulator with his head in
>the sand (or the office filing cabinet) keeps on thinking (hoping?) that
>it has any value outside the circuit area - and it's not that good there.

   Tell me about it. I remember many years ago flying into Seattle in a
small Mooney. Caught a glimse out of the corner of my eye and saw a
Shrike rocket over me about 100 feet higher. It was one of those
sunny hazy pacific northwest days and there was no way either of us would
have had a chance of seeing the other.

   Cheers,

   Peter
--
Peter Ashwood-Smith     | Email: petera@nortel.ca
Northern Telecom        | Work#: (613) 763-4534