Re: Identifying Boeing 777

Date:         05 Aug 97 03:15:50
From:         "William H. Wright" <William.Wright@PSS.boeing.com>

Pete Mellor wrote:
> "P. Wezeman" <pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>, Sun Jul 13 13:43:46 1997, asks:
> >  How can one distinguish a Boeing 777 from the many other twin engine
> > airliners, seeing it in flight without any direct size comparison?
>
> It's got bloody big engines!

This is right on. The 777 engines are much bigger than other twins and
as a result appear to have about half the vertical height below the
fuselage. My office mates and I just tested this theory out of our
office window on a 777 on final to Boeing Field. The plane was too far
away to see the windows but the large cowlings were clearly evident. A
second feature is the length of the tail cone. The 777's appears much
longer in relation to the fin than other Boeing products.

--
William H. Wright
Systems Analyst