Re: Identifying Boeing 777

Date:         05 Aug 97 03:15:50
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.1539@ohare.Chicago.COM>, snarley@hotmail.com wrote:

> shampoo wrote:
> >         As for identifying the 777, keep in mind it is very large.  Look
> > for 6-wheeled main bogies.  If that fails, check out the APU as it flies
> > overhead.  Unlike a 757 which has a visible rounded exhaust, the 777 is
> > "tapered" in the rear, similar to an MD80.  Good luck. - Shampoo.
>
> Along similar lines, how do you indentify a 767? I'm in Phoenix, and I
> see lots of 757 land and takeoff at/from Sky Harbor International
> Airport.  I haven't seen any 767s (perhaps couldn't identify them?).

757s are noticeably slimmer (single-aisle A/C vs twin-aisle 767) and they
have a "drooped" nose sort of like a DC-8.  Actually, it's not so much
drooped as asymetrical.  This was done in order to fit the 767 flight deck
into the smaller 757 so the planes could have a common type rating.  You
actually step down into the 757 flight deck.  Some paint schemes (the old
British Airways, for example) emphasize the 757's nose profile while
others do not.  If the gear is down as the plane passes overhead, the main
trucks of the 767 tilt forward, while the trucks on the 757 tilt aft.  We
film Boeing airplanes all the time at international airports, but the most
difficult time we have is when we're filming them heading at us for
landing.  It's quite difficult to tell a 757 from the A320 family when
they're on final coming toward us until they're fairly close.  The 757 has
longer wings and the A320 has squared-off flap track fairings, but from a
distance the two planes look remarkably similar.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane