Re: MD-11 Landing/Flare Behavior

Date:         05 Aug 97 03:15:49
From:         niels@lofgren.demon.co.uk (Niels Sampath)

           kranz@sprintmail.com "Matthew Kranz" writes:
>Thursday morning's crash of the FedEx MD-11 in Newark has prompted me to
>pose a question to the group. Does the MD-11 have less-than-optimum
>flare and landing characteristics? In addition to FedEx's crash (and
>previous hard landing) of N611FE, I saw a Delta MD-11 make an arrival (I
>wouldn't call it a landing <g>) at CVG a few months ago that was,
>obviously quite hard. The plane touched down heavily somewhere between
>the threshold and the 500-foot mark after little or no flare, and
>bounced 5-10 feet in the air before touching down again.

Another (possible) example:
I understand that a Garuda MD-11 recently had a touch-down
at Honolulu recently whereupon it started to `depart the runway'
resulting in a tailstrike/go-around with significant airframe
damage.

Just conjecturing, but perhaps  after long odd-hour flights
pilots revert back to DC-10 habits/landing dimensions
when landing MD-11s?

--
-Niels