Re: HS Trident/More wierdness

Date:         03 Aug 97 02:50:17
From:         nw@ix.netcom.com (Neil Wagner)

On 01 Aug 97 04:04:15 , Koos Zwaanenburg <kpz@one.com> wrote:
>tgg@hpl.hp.com.NOSPAM wrote:
>>Can anybody confirm or deny this quote:
>>  " The defunct and unlamented Trident was unique in that reverse
>>  thrust was selected before the aircraft touched down and the aircraft
>>  could b elowered onto the runway by its judicious application.
>I have asked a number of people "in the know" if you can apply thrust
>reversers in flight. I always got the same answer, that brakes and thrust
>reversers are disabled until the aircraft is rolling down the runway,

You never asked the right people.  ;)
Some DC-8's have the ability to deploy their inboard thrust reversers
in flight, acting as speed brakes.  I don't think they were ever
intended for use just prior to landing.

Of course, the F-28, too, as standard practice, deployed its
tail-mounted speed brakes on short final.

Neil - nw@ix.netcom.com