Re: HS Trident/More wierdness

Date:         03 Aug 97 02:50:17
From:         Steve Lacker <CAN_SPAM@arlut.utexas.eedu>

Koos Zwaanenburg wrote:

> tgg@hpl.hp.com.NOSPAM wrote:
> >Can anybody confirm or deny this quote:
> >
> >  " The defunct and unlamented Trident was unique in that reverse
> >  thrust was selected before the aircraft touched down and the aircraft
> >  could b elowered onto the runway by its judicious application.  As
<snip>

>   Since then I have
> asked a number of people "in the know" if you can apply thrust reversers
> in flight. This question also figured prominently after the Lauda Air 767
> crash over Thailand(?) I always got the same answer, that brakes and thrust
> reversers are disabled until the aircraft is rolling down the runway,
> which is determined by the weight-on-wheels(WOW) logic in the landing
> gears.

While it is common for thrust reverse to be disabled in flight, its not
always the case. Most military transports have the ability to reverse in
flight allowing a very fast and  steep descent (less time to be shot at
when landing in less-than-friendly territory!). Also, besides the
Trident, there have been other civil airliners with "reverse in flight"
capability. Perhaps the best known of these is the DC-8.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029