Re: Trans-Atlantic Caravelles

Date:         03 Aug 97 02:50:15
From:         Stuart Feigin <sfeigin@us.oracle.com>
Followups:    1 2 3

elberfeld@sprintmail.com wrote:

> An earlier reply to my posting quoted an "Airliners" magazine article
> which mentioned that Sterling did, in fact, fly a CPH-KEF-YQX-OMA-SFO
> (whew)service in 1970. It did not say how long this service lasted.
> Sterling was no stranger to long, multi-stop charters with Caravelles
> during this time period. Their crash in Dubai in 1972 was of a
> Colombo (Sri Lanka) to CPH flight. That's (roughly) about as far
> as from CPH to SFO, but with less overwater flying. Either way, that's
> a long haul on a Caravelle, cheap charter fare notwithstanding.

For those who have never been in a Caravelle, let me tell you that that
flight would have been unbearable.  The longest Caravelle flight I was
on was Oslo-Paris, and I had trouble standing up for a day.  Try to
imagine an airliner built like Disney builds Main Street, an exact, 5/8
size replica of a real airliner.

--
Stuart Feigin
Oracle Corp.

Nothing I say represents the revealed wisdom of Oracle Corporation.
Larry does that.