Re: Why Russians airlines usually make no-ILS approach/landings?

Date:         03 Aug 97 02:50:14
From:         jhilt@online.no.remove (John Hilt)

On 01 Aug 97 04:04:20 , "William Caefer" <bcaefer@primenet.com> wrote:

>Also, maybe because visual approaches take less time and effort.  This
>saves the airline money.

A relatively early descent gives the most fuel efficient approach for
jet airliners.

Not always allowed by ATC due to other traffic, but all this happens
some time before having the field in sight and approaching the outer
marker, intercepting or "ignoring" the ILS.

>Actually, if I lived as close to the only real source of the answer as you
>do (ie: Russian pilots) I'd try to stroll on over to the airport and ask a
>couple of them some questions about how they fly and procedures for their
>airlines.  All pilots like to talk about flying after all.  :)

I've tried talking to them, but they're only interested in what they
can bring home for free. Like worn-out car tyres, food and live
chickens. :-)

--

     -[ jhilt®online.no ]-