Re: Q:747-400F vs. 747-200

Date:         03 Aug 97 02:50:13
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.NOSPAM.COM (Karl Swartz)

>: The biggest advantage of the -400F (or factory built -2/300F) over a converted
>                                                          ^^^^
>(I know of no 300Fs)

There were none.  No reason, since the only difference between late
-200s and -300s was the longer upper deck on the -300, which was just
for passenger capacity.  (Earlier -200s had lower weights.)

>Doesn't the 400F also have the top deck removed aft of the door?

Its upper deck has the same, or very similar, exterior dimensions as
the original -100 and -200, but it's quite different structurally.

>I read in Flight International (30 April-6 May )that KLM is to convert
>747-200 SUD (747-200 converted to 300 standard, with Stretched Upper
>Deck).

You're most probably correct, since KLM has only three -300s while
they have ten -200s (seven which, like the -300s, have side cargo
doors).  However, I've heard that converted -200s are "officially"
known as -200SUDs, while the planes built with the extended upper
deck were known as -200EUDs until Boeing retroactively created the
-300 designation.  I have no idea how official this really is, but
wouldn't be at all surprised to see the terms mixed up quite often.

One exception is the two 747-100B(SR/SUD) aircraft, which appear to
have been built with the larger upper deck but nevertheless got the
SUD designation -- indicating a conversion -- and not the EUD tag
of a plane built with the big hump.

>The mod involves shortening the upper deck.

Very interesting.  I'm a little bit surprised that they'd go to that
much effort.

>I do not know how pilots are going to get into the cockpit, the SUD
>has a gull-wing door halfway on both sides.

As noted in this group before, crews usually board 747 freighters via
the main deck, and use drop-down steps or ladders to access the upper
deck.  The only reason for the upper deck door is for emergencies, and
I'd guess they'd include that door as part of the conversion.

>The bill is $48 million for two conversions. What is the price of a new
>747-400F? $140 million?

Boeing's web page (http://www.boeing.com/) has the 1997 list price of
a 747-400 as $156 to $174 million.  Nothing specific to a freghter,
but I'd expect it to be near the low end of that range.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com