Re: FedEx MD-11 crash at Newark

Date:         03 Aug 97 02:50:12
From:         Jishnu Mukerji <jis@garden.net>

Karl Swartz wrote:

> FedEx flight 14, operating TPE-ANC-EWR, crashed today (July 31) at
> approximately 1:35 am EST while landing on Newark's runway 29.  The
> initial impact was only 200 yards from Terminal B, and the burning
> wreckage blocked the runway, EWR's shortest.  The other two runways
> at EWR were open for departures only by 8 am, and for arrivals by
> 11:30 am.

Hmmm. Runway 29 does not come anywhere near 200yds of Terminal B. I
thought the crash was on runway 22R (which is indeed that close to
Terminal B), and the plane slid off the runway headed in the direction
of Terminal B according to a radio news report. Even this morning
runaway 22R was closed, not runway 29. Indeed runway 29 is the shortest
in EWR. Runway 22R is the next shortest. Runway 22L/4R is the longest.

Of course my information is based entirely on radio news reports, which
I'll admit are not exactly the fonts of accuracy.

Jishnu Mukerji
jis@garden.net