Re: B747 technical questions

Date:         01 Aug 97 04:04:18
From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> There are probably several counter-examples, but the only one I can
> think of is a 720 (or maybe a 707) that PWC used to flight test small
> engines.  In this case, the test engine was mounted near the nose of
> the plane.

	P&WC's airplane is a Boeing 720.  It can test turboprops on the nose,
small turbofans on a pylon off the right side of the forward fuselage
and larger turbofans (V2500 sized) at the #3 spot.  Their aircraft is an
old MEA aircraft, complete with patched bullet holes, earned during the
Lebanese civil war.

	Allied Signal (the old Garrett folks) also have a 720 they use
to test turbofans and turboprops.  It has a pylon mounted on the forward
fuselage.

	GE does their testing on an old 747-100 and a 707.  The GE90 was tested
on this 747, but the PW4000 and RR Trent for the 777 were tested on the
#1 747, leased back by Boeing from the Museum of Flight.