Re: Aircraft Evacuation

Date:         01 Aug 97 04:04:16
From:         ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn)

In article <airliners.1997.1546@ohare.Chicago.COM>, ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn) wrote:
>In article <airliners.1997.1525@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "P. Wezeman"
> <pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> wrote:
>>   Does the FAA require airlines to demonstrate evacuation of airliners
>>in every seating configuration that the airline uses? In other words, if
>>an airliner wanted to squeeze more seats into an airliner than anyone
>>had ever used before, would they have to demonstrate that the new
>>configuration would still meet standards for evacuation time with a
>>random half of the exits blocked, X% seniors, dummy infants and all
>>the other test requirements?
>
>The short answer is "yes". [but some others say "no".]
<snip>

Maybe we need to clarify this scenario.  I was assuming that the air carrier
was trying to fly more pax than the aircraft had been *certificated* to, which
is admittedly a slightly different from (1) what has been demonstrated with
the aircraft, and (2) the maximum number of pax which have actually been flown
in service by an air carrier.

Perhaps someone could explain the exact methodology used in each of the three
cases:  (1) more pax than had been certificated, (2) more pax than have been
demonstrated, and (3) more pax than had been flown in service, but fewer than
certificated/demonstrated.

Assuming scenario (1) I have a further question:  which FAA region would be
responsible for approving the configuration - the region of the aircraft type
certificating agency (e.g. Northwest Mountain Region for Boeing), or the
region of the air carrier (e.g. Southwest Region for AA) ?

Thanks!
ed

The above statement is the opinion of the author.  No endorsement
or warranty by the MITRE Corporation is expressed or implied.