Re: HS Trident/More wierdness

Date:         01 Aug 97 04:04:15
From:         Koos Zwaanenburg <kpz@one.com>

tgg@hpl.hp.com.NOSPAM wrote:
>Can anybody confirm or deny this quote:
>
>  " The defunct and unlamented Trident was unique in that reverse
>  thrust was selected before the aircraft touched down and the aircraft
>  could b elowered onto the runway by its judicious application.  As
>  this action was carried out by the co-pilot, it was the only
>  aircraft designed to be landed by the person who wasn't flying
>  the airplane."

This is fascinating... I used to fly on Tridents a lot, AMS-LHR, between
1980 and 1983, until BA acquired 757s. I always wondered why Tridents were
smashed against the runway during side wind landings at Heathrow.  Heathrow
had only two parallel runways then, so side wind landings were somewhat
common.  Awsome landings! Shook the fillings right out of my teeth, it
seemed.  During one of these side wind landings, I thought I'd figured it
out: They applied thrust reversal just prior to touch down. I'm convinced
that I could hear it, and I certainly could feel it.  Since then I have
asked a number of people "in the know" if you can apply thrust reversers
in flight. This question also figured prominently after the Lauda Air 767
crash over Thailand(?) I always got the same answer, that brakes and thrust
reversers are disabled until the aircraft is rolling down the runway,
which is determined by the weight-on-wheels(WOW) logic in the landing
gears.

>From experience I would like to confirm the above quote. But people more
knowledgeable than I would probably deny. So what are the facts? Did the
Trident have a unique feature?

Koos Zwaanenburg