Re: differences in DC10-30 and -40

Date:         01 Aug 97 04:04:15
From:         nw@ix.netcom.com (Neil Wagner)

On 31 Jul 97, kls@ohare.Chicago.NOSPAM.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:

>>     I then started asking around and finally dug up a DC-10-30 flight
>>manual. It turns out that the flight engineer can isolate the centre gear
>>(i.e. keep it retracted).
>
>Presumably the DC-10-40 has the same feature, which I vaguely recall

Yes, it does, as does the MD-11.  Not sure of the details of the JAL
DC-10's, but I suspect they took it upon themselves to remove the
center strut after delivery.

>Can it be deployed once on the ground?  I wouldn't have thought so,
>but that means a light landing would then force a light takeoff.

Can be, but requires deflating the strut.  Then using a hoist, the
gear is slowly lowered and pushed aft until the lock links go over
center.  Finally, the strut is reserviced and is ready for use.

Neil - nw@ix.netcom.com