Re: Q:747-400F vs. 747-200

Date:         01 Aug 97 04:04:15
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.NOSPAM.COM (Karl Swartz)

>The biggest advantage of the -400F (or factory built -2/300F) over a
>converted -2/300 (besides the lift ability) is the nose door.

Another big advantage of purpose-built freighters is that they do not
have most of the cabin windows, and thus don't have the heavy structures
which surround the cutouts.  I've seen fuselages for both passenger and
UPS 757s being fabricated.  It's quite a dramatic difference -- the
skin is milled out in unbroken areas, but left thicker where windows
go, an opening is made, and then a heavy aluminum forging is inserted
into the opening.  The UPS ones not only didn't have the opening or
forging, the area where the window might have gone is milled just as
thin as the nearby, unbroken areas.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com