Re: Russian winglet size....

Date:         01 Aug 97 04:04:14
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.1595@ohare.Chicago.COM>, richard@rmit.EDU.AU
(Richard A. Muirden) wrote:

> After following C. Martin Faure's posts in recent weeks regarding winglets,
> their use and lack thereof, and having seen today an article in Australian
> Aviation that says the 767-400ER will now *not* have winglets but a "raked
> wingtip" design I'm reminded of a question that has been in the back of my
> mind for a while. This relates to the IL-96 and TU-204 Russian airliners -
> both which have winglets, but both which *appear*(to the eye anyway) to be
> way out of proportion (ie; too big) to the rest of the aircraft compared to
> western types such as the A330/A340 and 747-400 winglets. Does anyone know
> if it is because of the specific Russian designs, or that they've just done
> a copy-cat perhaps without doing all the sums and maybe thought something as
> simple as "bigger is better" ? Does anyone have any figures one way or the
> other to determine if they help or hinder the Russian types?

I don't have the answer, but I agree the winglets on the IL-96 are
absolutely monstrous and they look heavy as heck.  Perhaps the wing cannot
for structural reasons take any sort of linear extension so the huge
winglet was their only recourse to get the range or performance they were
after.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane