Re: Boeing 767 main gear tilt

Date:         28 Jul 97 01:13:29
From:         "François Airault" <fairault@compuserve.com>

> The gear tilt "toe down" in order to stow more efficiently.  This allows
> the main gear well to be shorter, making the cargo holds longer.  This is
> goodness since longer cargo holds carry more revenue stuff.  A small side
> benefit is that a shorter gear well makes the airplane slightly lighter
> and stiffer.
> --
> (Author's name withheld by request)

Is this a fact, or are you assuming ? My recollection from the type
rating is that the gear is hydraulically (normal) or mechanically
(standby, by the inner doors) untilted while retracting. Looking at the
767 wheel well, it actually seems that the gear is stowed straightened,
with the truck parallel to the centerline. In addition, calling the 767
main gear "short" and "light" is a rather stem way of putting it. It is
a very complicated design, and the tilted truck is only part of it. I'm
only curious to understand why (ok, VERY curious now that I have done
some digging, to no avail).

Francois-