Re: differents in DC10-30 and -40

Date:         28 Jul 97 01:13:29
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.NOSPAM.COM (Karl Swartz)

>The -40 is an odd bird. It has the
>center main gear wheel like the -30, designed to carry extra fuel payload,
>but not nearly the fuel capacity of the -30. As a result, its market value
>is about the same as the series 10, since it doesn't really have
>intercontinental range.

Northwest certainly flew them on intercontinental routes, across the
Pacific, the I believe I remember hearing that their -30s are now used
for Pacific flights while the -40s fly domestic and Europe.  AW&ST
lists the following still air ranges:

   DC-10-10    4,123 miles
   DC-10-30    6,357
   DC-10-40    5,988

It had been my impression that the -40's range shortfall was due to
higher fuel burn with the JT9D engines.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com