Re: differents in DC10-30 and -40

Date:         28 Jul 97 01:13:29
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.NOSPAM.com>

BAEJS3201 wrote:
> Hey out there can anyone tell me what the differeents in a DC10-30 and
> -40, I know the differents in a -10 and -30 is bigger engines,bigger wings
> and center line gear.

Basic difference is the -40 has P&W (JT-9D) engines instead of the GE
CF-6 engines on the -30. The only operator to my knowledge is NW; my
guess is they did not want to introduce a new engine type into their
fleet (their 747s already used the JT-9).  BTW, Cathay Pacific actively
advertises an "all Rolls-Royce powered fleet".

Originally, the -40 was designated the -20, but NW asked that the dash
number be changed.  Refer to Airways, August 1997, page 38.

Hope this answers your question;
Ken Ishiguro