Re: Q: Smoking on flight deck

Date:         28 Jul 97 01:13:28
From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>

Andrew L. Stern <astern@ccsnet.com> on Sun Jul 13 10:43:44 1997 asks:

> I have a scene in the cockpit of an airliner, where the captain
> lights up a cigarette.
> My question is: Last I heard, the FAA allows the cockpit crew to smoke,
> because of nicotene's benefits with regard to alertness.  I would very much
> appreciate if someone in the know could tell me if this is still true?

In the course of several visits to flight decks, I have never
seen any crew-member smoking. I think that, on non-smoking
flights (all flights by BA, Cathay, Singapore, etc., in fact
nearly all carriers these days) the ban on smoking extends
to the flight deck.

Certainly, when I had a demo flight in the jump seat of a BA A320
from LHR to Inverness and back, I was warned in advance (being a
smoker) that smoking on the flight deck was definitely a no-no.

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK. Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax: +44 (171) 477-8585
E-mail: p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk