Re: B747 technical questions

Date:         28 Jul 97 01:13:28
From:         Bill Hensley <Bill_Hensley@smtp.rc.trw.com>

k_ish (kenish@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

> No, this is simply a "hardpoint" to haul spare engines around.  I
> personally have never seen this feature actually used.  [...]
> Ken Ishiguro

You may have already seen this, but there was a photo in a recent
_AW&ST_ that showed a 747-400 on a delivery run that was ferrying an
engine using that hardpoint.  I regret that I do not have issue
information right now.

In a bit of barely-related trivia, Boeing floated a study about five
years ago to equip the EC-135 airborne command post (ABCNP) fleet with
an APU mounted to the -135s ferry hardpoint, since the aircraft had to
rely on ground power or charges to get started in austere conditions,
or leave an engine running all the time while on the ground.  There was
never any progress with implementation due to cost.

Cheers, Bill

Bill_Hensley@smtp.rc.trw.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Hensley/