Re: Boeing 777 - Totally Irresponsible?

Date:         07 Jan 97 07:20:18
From:         "Luc Van Bavel" <no@junk.mail (use luc <AT> francomedia <DOT> qc <DOT> ca for mail. Thanks!)>

Peter Ashwood-Smith <petera@nortel.ca> wrote in
<airliners.1997.120@ohare.Chicago.COM>...

>I also find the lack of feedback in Airbus systems to be a
>poor design choice. So much useful information can be obtained
>by the feel of the controls the only reason I can think of for
>eliminating it is weight/cost savings.

Another reason is : since the feedback is artificial (such as in the 777),
what about a feedback error?

This said, I do not feel it is a problem from the pilot point of view.

None of the FBW fighter aircraft have feedback (AFAIK), and from my very
short experience in the F-16 it is absolutely not an issue.

Actually, feedback on fbw aircraft is a source of loss of flying accuracy
because the hand of the pilot facing a feedback on the controls induces a
slight command which was performed by the fbw anyway.

--Luc
--
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vanbavel/
Mikoyan Design Bureau - Lockheed F-16 - Jet Squalus - FEA and Composites