Re: Metro/JATO

Date:         28 Jul 97 01:13:26
From:         Bob Mann <rwmannco@interport.net>

Andrew Goldfinger wrote:

>      A few years ago, I saw a Swearingin Metro with a tubluar member
> at
> the tail apex. I asked about this, and was told that it was for a JATO
>
> engine.
>
> 1.  Is this true
>
> 2.  If true, has anyone here ridden a Metro during a JATO take off?
> Could they share their experience?

My understanding is that on the earlier Metros, JATO (or more
accurately, rocket assisted takeoff) was a consideration for critical
engine failure on short-field/hot/high altitude takeoffs.  I recall that
Golden Gate used aircraft in this configuration, where it operated into
Elko, NV/Ely, MT.

[Moderator's note: Presumably you mean Ely, NV, which has seen air
service to/from Elko, NV.  My atlas doesn't list an Ely, MT.  Karl]

--
- Bob Mann
  R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.