Re: Metro/JATO

Date:         28 Jul 97 01:13:26
From:         "Mark E. Ingram" <markt@mickey.mo-net.com>

On 14 Jul 1997, Andrew Goldfinger wrote:

>      A few years ago, I saw a Swearingin Metro with a tubluar member at
> the tail apex. I asked about this, and was told that it was for a JATO
> engine.
>
> 1.  Is this true

Yes, that is indeed what the tube is there for, but you would have to look
pretty close to determine if it actually had the JATO installed.

I have flown quite a few Metroliners, and perhaps half a dozen of those
had it installed.  Their use required special training for everyone
involved (ground and maintenance people included), and very careful
handling - it doesn't take much imagination to figure out that an
accidental JATO discharge on a busy ramp or in a maintenance hangar would
not be a pretty sight.

> 2.  If true, has anyone here ridden a Metro during a JATO take off?
> Could they share their experience?

I once talked to a crew who had fired one of these (in flight) to "safe"
it after its service life had expired.  These things put out only about
200 pounds of thrust - supposedly just to give a boost during engine-out
landing gear retraction - but they said they could definitely feel the
short "bump."  I got the idea, however, that it was about equal to the
boost added by the water-alcohol injection system that was also present on
some of the Metros' Garrett engines.

Regards,

Mark E. Ingram

MarkT@Mo-Net.Com (also mingram@mail.orion.org)