Re: Aircraft Evacuation

Date:         28 Jul 97 01:13:25
From:         ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn)

In article <airliners.1997.1525@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "P. Wezeman" <pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> wrote:
>   Does the FAA require airlines to demonstrate evacuation of airliners
>in every seating configuration that the airline uses? In other words, if
>an airliner wanted to squeeze more seats into an airliner than anyone
>had ever used before, would they have to demonstrate that the new
>configuration would still meet standards for evacuation time with a
>random half of the exits blocked, X% seniors, dummy infants and all
>the other test requirements?

The short answer is "yes".

This is actually a somewhat contentious issue, as evacuation demonstrations
frequently cause injuries among the participants.  However, given your above
scenario, it would be highly doubtful that a relaxation of this policy would
be allowed.

ed

The above statement is the opinion of the author.  No endorsement
or warranty by the MITRE Corporation is expressed or implied.