Re: Boeing 767-400

Date:         07 Jan 97 07:20:17
From:         simonlc@ozemail.com.au (Simon Craig)

>I have flown on either an Ansett or an Australian Airlines 767 (I forget
>which - it was in 1987) that had both an engineer's panel (albeit
>truncated) *and* a living, breathing flight engineer.  What gives?

I've had a good look at the Ansett flighties panel, an a fat lot a good it
is.  The must be the most lightly worked flight engineers in the history of
commercial aviation.

The story I heard (and I have to admit it's a good one) was that it
prevented a whole lot of legal action by the flight engineers of the time.
I must admit, getting a special aeroplane just to appease flight engineers
sounds a little ludicrous, but it's still a good story :-)

Regards,

--
Simon Craig

--- Do you like old aircraft?  Visit my Connie Page!

<http://www.ozemail.com.au/~simonlc>