Re: B747 technical questions

Date:         14 Jul 97 20:27:00
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.NOSPAM.com>

Michael Carley wrote:
> k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.NOSPAM.com> writes:
> >No, this is simply a "hardpoint" to haul spare engines around.  I
> >personally have never seen this feature actually used.  The engine
>
> There was a photo in last week's Aviation Week of a BA 747-400
> which had an extra engine attached for delivery to Britain. It
> was the most convenient way of getting a spare to BA.

Thanks for the update.  There has been a worldwide shortage of the RB211
engines used on the 747-400.  I heard thirdhand that an unplanned engine
inspection/overhaul was mandated by RR.  This unplanned event created
havoc in the airlines' maintenance schedules which are usually planned a
year or more in advance.  BA was taking engines off aircraft which were
down for maintenance to keep the rest of the fleet flying; originally
these aircraft were not scheduled for an engine removal.  I understand
other operators were similarly affected.  About 2 weeks ago, the
situation resolved itself.

Sounds like the photo you saw was supporting the spare engine effort.

Ken Ishiguro