Re: B767 design fault (feature?)

Date:         14 Jul 97 20:27:00
From:         malc@mci2000.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 13 Jul 97 01:25:54 , kls@ohare.Chicago.NOSPAM.COM (Karl Swartz) caused to
appear as if it was written:

>>Don't know if it is the case now but when my father represented BA at
>>Lockheed for the purchase of the Tristars, the planes were not in general
>>delivered with seats. BA's planes used American built First class seats, and
>>those were fitted. The economy seats (no business class seats then) were
>>made in Britain, and were fitted after the plane was delivered back to
>>the UK.

[ Snip ]

>Similarly, if it takes a week to outfit the interiors, BA is paying
>a week's interest on an aircraft which is not producing revenue.  If
>they let Boeing install the seats, they wouldn't incur that cost.
>(Perhaps Boeing's charge for seat installation, or the shipping cost
>for seats made in Europe, outweighs this cost.)

Well, Boeing would have probably charged a whole lot of cash to install
seats in BA's L-1011s!

But seriously, this would have been in an era of much more intense political
machination, so it is likely that BA purchased the seats in the UK in order
to award a contract to a British company, and thereby win brownie points
from the government...

>Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com

Malc.