Re: B767 design fault (feature?)

Date:         14 Jul 97 20:27:00
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.NOSPAM.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:

> >Don't know if it is the case now but when my father represented BA at
> >Lockheed for the purchase of the Tristars, the planes were not in general
> >delivered with seats. BA's planes used American built First class seats, and
> >those were fitted. The economy seats (no business class seats then) were
> >made in Britain, and were fitted after the plane was delivered back to
> >the UK.
>
> I'm surprised that it would be cost-effective to do it that way.

A seat group (1-3 seats) costs from $5000 (US) to $20,000.  If you
consider shipping, customs duty, sales tax, interest expense etc. it may
have easily be more cost-effective to install post-delivery in the UK.
It is also possible something about the seats or the cabin arrangement
was legal with the CAA (UK) but not with the FAA (USA).  Another
possibility is that the seats were not ready in time...this happens more
often than you might think!

> The
> problem with this is that the engines -- very expensive items! -- are
> necessarily mounted to the airframe several weeks earlier in the
> production process than for a Boeing or McDonnell Douglas airliner.
> On the 737 lines, the interior is done before the engines are hung at
> the very last station before being pushed out the door.

Engines are last on the 747 lines as well.  To prevent the aircraft from
teetering onto its tail, concrete blocks are suspended from the engine
pylons.  Sort of a strange thing to see.  Concrete blocks are
undoubtedly cheaper than engines, and also less expensive to repair if a
factory floor mishap occurs.

Ken Ishiguro