Re: A330-300HGW & new gear

Date:         14 Jul 97 20:27:00
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.NOSPAM.COM (Karl Swartz)

>> The current wing is designed to accomodate either two relatively large
>> engines (A330) or four considerably lighter engines (A340-200/300).
>> The A340-500/600 will have four engines, each larger (and heavier)
>> than the two on the A330.

>From the above mentioned facts I conclude that the Trent 500 will be
>smaller and lighter than the A330 engines (CFMI CF6-80E1, PW4168 and
>Trent 768/772.)

I stand corrected.  However, the engine will still be considerably
heavier than the CFM56-5C series currently installed on the A340, and
two of them will almost certainly weight considerably more than one
of the current A330 engines (though not twice).  At the very least,
the structures for the outer engines (#1 and #4) will need to be
strengthened, and at worst, the wing may require significant changes
to accomodate the weight of two engines which, in aggregate, weigh
considerably more than two CFM56-5C engines or one of the current A330
engines.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com