Re: 747

Date:         14 Jul 97 20:26:59
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc@geocities.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> In article <airliners.1997.1426@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Marc Schaeffer wrote:
> >V. Venkatesh wrote:
> >> A cousin of mine was flying Sea-Tokyo on a NW 747 on Monday when the
> >> captain shut down two engines near Alaska and returned to Seattle. I guess
> >> this isn't much of a deal since nothing appeared in the news.
>
> >Nothing appeared in the news since this didn't happen.
>
> On what do you base that assertion?  Were you on that flight so you
> know for a fact that it did not happen?

No I wasn't on that flight. My point was that *if* two engines would
have failed this would have been reported in the news and/or the web,
since this would have been a serious incident.

> >There is still no report on the NTSB homepage.
>
> Even in 1997, not being on the web doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You are right for one in-flight engine shutdown, here we speak of two.

> >I think your cousin has quite a good imagination. :-)
>
> Only in believing that *two* engines were shut down.

Let's agree that *one* engine shutdown occured, since this is a *fact*.

My point was that this newsgroup should not divert in discussing things
which only occured in somebodys imagination. The quality of discussions
is too good to publish fairy-tales. If the initial question would have
been "what happens if two engines on a 747 fail", I wouldn't have
written what I wrote in my previous post. But the initial post was
different, stating that "my cousin was on a 747 flight with two engine
shutdown". The question isn't bad, it was just the way it was asked
which I didn't appreciate.

Regards
Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg // mailto:marcmsc@geocities.com
---->>>>> Check out my aircraft pictures <<<<<----