Re: Identifying Boeing 777

Date:         13 Jul 97 19:52:41
From:         shampoo@ite.net (shampoo)

In <airliners.1997.1470@ohare.Chicago.COM> "P. Wezeman"
<pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> wrote:
>   I often stay in a suburb of Minneapolis, Minnesota, where I am under
>one of the approach paths to Twin Cities International Airport. Does any
>airline operate the Boeing 777 out of the twin cities?
>   How can one distinguish a Boeing 777 from the many other twin engine
>airliners, seeing it in flight without any direct size comparison? I
>suppose I could make a set of World War Two style flash cards with
>aircraft silhouettes.

	There is no scheduled 777 service at MSP.  However, UA diversions
from ORD are not unheard of, including their notable ORDHKG flight.  There
have been times when a quick drive past MSP will yield five or six UA D10s
and a few AA 757s.  100 to 1 ORD was shut down the night before.

	As for identifying the 777, keep in mind it is very large.  Look
for 6-wheeled main bogies.  If that fails, check out the APU as it flies
overhead.  Unlike a 757 which has a visible rounded exhaust, the 777 is
"tapered" in the rear, similar to an MD80.  Good luck. - Shampoo.