Re: Why Russians airlines usually make no-ILS approach/landings?

Date:         13 Jul 97 19:52:40
From:         Ian McAndrew <outrigg@outrigg.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1997.1469@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Riccardo Romagnoli
<chemif@mbox.queen.it> writes
>Living in the vicinity of one airport (Forli'/LIPK), I have noticed that
>ALL Russians charters (TUPOLEV/ANTONOV etc.) ALWAYS made VISUAL approach
>and landings (even if the ruanway is ILS CAT2 equipped).

I do not know the answer through any personal means, but some months ago
there was a programme on UK television about Russian airlines and flight
safety. In that the comment was made that the majority of Russian pilots
are ex-military and it is a matter of pride NOT to use the ILS. One
scene showing a twin-jet coming in to land tended to prove this - the
approach was more reminiscent of a fighter-bomber approach. I would not
have liked to be in the back of that plane :-{

--
Ian McAndrew