Re: Boeing 767 main gear tilt

Date:         13 Jul 97 01:25:53
From:         air-admin@chicago.com
Followups:    1 2 3 4

François Airault <fairault@compuserve.com> wrote:
>Could someone explain why the B767 gear is tilted the "wrong" way, i.e.
>front wheels down, instead of the seemingly more natural rear wheels
>down design like the 747, 777 or A340 ?

The gear tilt "toe down" in order to stow more efficiently.  This allows
the main gear well to be shorter, making the cargo holds longer.  This is
goodness since longer cargo holds carry more revenue stuff.  A small side
benefit is that a shorter gear well makes the airplane slightly lighter
and stiffer.

>Also, what kind of weight is required to force the rear wheels down
>after touchdown ?  At low weights, the aircraft has a tendency to
>"tiptoe" after landing. I think the A340 needs around 50 tons on the
>mains to fully settle down.

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.  Can't help you.  :-)

--
(Author's name withheld by request)