Re: HS Trident/More wierdness

Date:         13 Jul 97 01:25:53
From:         simonlc@ozemail.com.au (Simon Craig)

>>The other strange thing about the nose gear was it had four tires on a
>>single axle.  I'm guessing that the narrow gear well limited the tire
>>diameter, so 4 tires were required.
>
>But wouldn't that make the axle longer?  I would have thought that
>would be a more critical dimension, since it would have to fit between
>the cabin floor and the bottom of the fuselage.  (I had never noticed
>this peculiarity of the Trident before.)

I am looking at a picture of a Trident 1, and it definately only has 2
wheels on the nose gear, is offset to the left and has a large space to
retract to the right - and each of the main gear has 4 wheels mounted on a
single axle.

It still looks a little wierd.

Regards,

--
Simon Craig

--- If it's not Boeing, then I'm not going!