Re: HS Trident

Date:         13 Jul 97 01:25:52
From:         Kees de Lezenne Coulande <lezenne@compuserve.com>

Henry Law <hjl@thelaws.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>There's a photograph in today's Independent newspaper in the UK of BA
>managers, supposedly at RAF Wroughton, learning the rudiments of baggage
>handling and towing aircraft in preparation for a forthcoming strike.
>And what are they practicing on?  A Trident 3, G-AWZM!  It's in what
>looks to have been BA livery, not BEA.
>
>But why would an RAF base have a Trident?  They are favourites at
>airports for fire training, but surely military fire crews don't need to
>practice fighting fires on airliners ...

     Wroughton is nowadays mainly a storage site for the Science Museum
which has assembled a nice collection of airliners. Trident 3B G-AWZM
arrived at Wroughton on 28 February 1986.
     As far as I know, Wroughton is not open to the public, apart from the
Open Days organised by the Science Museum once or twice a year. Maybe this
explains why BA prefers this site over Duxford, where there is an even
larger collection of airliners.
                               Kees de Lezenne Coulander

--
C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
Aircraft Development and Systems Engineering B.V.