Re: HS Trident

Date:         13 Jul 97 01:25:52
From:         "Philip Morten" <mortenp@hursley.ibm.com>

Henry Law wrote:
> There's a photograph in today's Independent newspaper in the UK of BA
> managers, supposedly at RAF Wroughton, learning the rudiments of baggage
> handling and towing aircraft in preparation for a forthcoming strike.
> And what are they practicing on?  A Trident 3, G-AWZM!  It's in what
> looks to have been BA livery, not BEA.
>
> But why would an RAF base have a Trident?  They are favourites at
> airports for fire training, but surely military fire crews don't need to
> practice fighting fires on airliners ...

Wroughton is the home of the Science Museum's reserve collection, or
part of it at least.  They have a Trident there which is on loan from
British Airways who still use it for ground handling training.

RAF Wroughton is a hospital adjacent to the airfield site ( It may be
closed now) and the airfield itself used to be shared between the
Science Museum and a RNAY (which I believe is also now closed).

Philip Morten