Re: possible new engine for the B777-200X

Date:         13 Jul 97 01:25:51
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

Karl Swartz <kls.NOSPAM@ohare.Chicago.COM> wrote:
>>With the new CLK airport, HKG should not be overlooked (but then
>>again, DL did not make it the first time).
>
>I thought a big part of DL's problem was that the MD-11 couldn't
>really fly LAX-HKG with a reasonably full load, at least not
>consistently.

This has been discussed before.  I personally don't think the range
of the MD-11 is a significant factor.  I was told that even some of
Singapore Airlines' SFO-HKG B747 flights sometimes had to be
diverted to Taiwan or Japan.  My understanding is DL's yields on
the route was very poor.  DL had trouble marketing its product in
the region.

>Also, I don't think DL flew beyond HKG, whereas UA
>continues on to at least SIN and DEL.

This is true.  HKG is a minor Asian hub for UA with at least seven
daily departures.  (NW only has ten or eleven *weekly* departures
from HKG.)  However, I would think, with proper marketing, the HKG
market itself is big enough without any fifth-freedom traffic.  Were
I a decision maker for an airline, HKG would be my first choice for
trans-Pacific service outside Japan.  Although, SEL is another good
alternative, both Korean Air and Asiana have sizable trans-Pacific
network.