Re: 747

Date:         13 Jul 97 01:25:51
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.NOSPAM.COM (Karl Swartz)
Followups:    1 2 3

In article <airliners.1997.1426@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Marc Schaeffer wrote:
>V. Venkatesh wrote:
>> A cousin of mine was flying Sea-Tokyo on a NW 747 on Monday when the
>> captain shut down two engines near Alaska and returned to Seattle. I guess
>> this isn't much of a deal since nothing appeared in the news.

>Nothing appeared in the news since this didn't happen.

On what do you base that assertion?  Were you on that flight so you
know for a fact that it did not happen?

According to sources who requested anonymity, NW flight 7 (SEA-NRT) on
Monday, June 16, 1997 suffered an in-flight shutdown of the #3 engine
two hours into the flight, due to lack of oil pressure.  The aircraft
returned to SEA, where numerous metal shavings were found inside parts
of the engine.  The aircraft we ferried to MSP two days later for an
engine change.

The aircraft involved was N614UA, a 757-251B (MSN 20359, LN 163)
equipped with JT9D-7F engines.  At the time of the incident (or upon
landing, I'm not sure which), the airframe had 90,405 hours in service
and 19,491 cycles.

>There is still no report on the NTSB homepage.

Even in 1997, not being on the web doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

On the web or otherwise, the NTSB doesn't investigate every single
incident within its jurisdiction, just those that are unusual or which
involve significant damage or injury.  An in-flight engine shutdown is
not such an event.  (I was on a 747-400 that had an IFSD on Februay
18, 1994.  That event is not listed on the NTSB web site, either, but
I can assure you that it did indeed happen.)

>I think your cousin has quite a good imagination. :-)

Only in believing that *two* engines were shut down.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com